Canberrans are generally accepting of difference, but they have also benefited from the willingness of many people of different cultures and faiths to share their stories and experiences. Canberrans have always had the opportunity to experience a rich and vibrant mix of cultures, however, recent events suggest it is important not to be complacent about these issues.
Anecdotal reports suggest people in the ACT may be verbally vilified in regards to race, sexuality and gender identity. Whether publicised widely or the subject of individual complaints lodged with the Commission, ordinary people feel discriminated against every day.
The role of the ACT Human Rights and Discrimination Commissioner includes to promote the benefits of our diverse population, and to handle complaints of alleged discrimination on a range of attributes including race, religious beliefs, sex, sexuality and disability. The Commissioner has sought to work in partnership with key organisations, such as the Office for Multicultural Affairs and non-government organisations to promote diversity, and reduce racism and other forms of discrimination in our community
The aim of this campaign is to:
- Educate the public on what to do if they see or experience some form of discrimination
- Generate good news stories about standing up against discrimination
- Encourage Canberra to embrace its cultural diversity and promote inclusion
What can you do?
Use the hashtag #diversitygoeswith and complete that sentence:
- Explain how a community of inclusion helps you as an individual, business or organisation.
- Tell a story about how diversity has affected your life in a positive way.
For example, a tweet might look like this:
#diversitygoeswith schools – my daughter is five and can travel the world just through the friends she has made at kindergarten.
Follow the campaign via:
Use the hashtag #diversitygoeswith to add your story to social media – Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
let the Human Rights Commission know when you’re talking about the campaign:
- Helen Watchirs: email@example.com
- Sean Costello: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wendy Dawes: email@example.com
The ACT Human Rights Commission has campaign packs available if you wish to distribute them through your organisation. Contact Human.Rights@act.gov.au to order yours today. Alternatively, download and print your own from below:
ABOUT THE ACT HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION
The role of the ACT Human Rights Commission is to resolve complaints and promote rights. We:
- Provide an independent, fair and accessible process for resolving individual complaints; and
- Promote the human rights and welfare of people.